29 March 2009

kindle v. tOuch

Glenn Reynolds http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/75036/reviews his Kindle2. I got one for Christmas and while waiting for it to show up - three months later - I decided that an iPod tOuch would be a better choice. There's an ebook reading app that's available (free) and it's quite a bit more versatile than the Kindle. I also decided I wasn't crazy about the size of the Kindle - too big for my pockets and I'm not a Murse guy (though I've given it some thought).

It also seemed like the Kindle was more aimed at getting me to spend money at Amazon than enabling me to read whatever I wanted - like all the free ebooks that are available. I've been reading For Whom the Bell Tolls lately and enjoying it quite a bit. 

I suspect the Kindle might have a better - more paper-like - screen for reading, but I do fine with the tOuch. I haven't tried it outside much, but I've mostly been able to read it fine. Currently I've got it set to a black background with light grey text.

Having just gotten back from vacation I did decide that neither device is necessarily the best if you're vacationing at a hotel or other crowded location like the beach. It's not like you'd be well advised to leave your Kindle or tOuch unattended on your chair when you decide to take a dip in the pool or freshen your cocktail at the bar. A paper book is less likely to go for a walk than either high-tech alternative.

No comments: